We know that ISO standards may seem a bit daunting, but in reality they are quite straight forward.
Most businesses first encounter them when they are completing a tender, and find that it’s a requirement. Almost every public sector and large company’s procurement departments’ now insist that their suppliers have ISO certification.
That brings the tender application process to a grinding halt and starts an urgent search for information on the relevant ISO standard!
There are hundreds of different standards but these are 4 of the most popular and most asked for:
- ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management System, and
- OHSAS 18001 Health & Safety Management System.
So ‘in a nutshell’ ISO is all about….
It’s a circular process that builds on the principle of continuous improvement!
1. SAY WHAT YOU DO
- Your company policies, objectives, procedures, systems, process and the quality manual
2. DO WHAT YOU SAY
- Follow the procedures
- Know what you do, why, how and when
3. PROVE IT
- Internal audits and check points
- Finding opportunities for improvement
4. IMPROVE IT
- Continuous improvement, customer feedback and improved communication